Enacted by the National Assembly for the Federal republic of Nigeria
Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, provide for the engagement of Nigerians in Diaspora in the policies, projects and participation in the development of Nigeria and for the purpose of utilising the human capital and material resources of Nigerians in Diaspora towards the overall socio-economic, cultural and political development of Nigeria and for related matters.
Nigerians in Diaspora Commission
The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission shall be under the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs; and be constituted in accordance with and have such powers and functions as conferred on it by the Act.
The Commission shall be a body corporate with perpetual and a common seal, may sue and be sued in its corporate name. The commission, for the purposes of its functions can acquire, hold or dispose of property (whether movable or immovable); and is a designated Commission in Nigeria with responsibility for coordinating and providing an organized system of collaborations of Nigerians in Diaspora for their contributions by identifying, preserving and mobilizing the human capital and material resources and expertise to the development of Nigeria
The Governing Board shall consist of a chairman who shall be the chief executive and accounting officer of the commission
The chairman and members of the Commission shall be appointed by the President subject to confirmation by the Senate and shall hold office for a period of 4years and may be re-appointed for a further term of 4 years and no more.
The Board shall be responsible for the general administration of the Commission and in particular, shall formulate general policies for the regulation and development of the Commission and the achievement and exercise of the functions of the Commission approve the audited and management accounts of the Commission and appoint auditors for the Commission, among other responsibilities.
The Commission shall have power to –
- manage the funds, with respect to the day-to-day running of the Commission;
- mobilize and execute programmes that will compliment and advice the Federal Government on major areas of accelerated development;
- formulate policies as the commission may, from time to time determine;
- co-ordinate and harmonize all continental Nigeria Diaspora Organizations;
- advice the Government at all levels on matters related to this Act;
- carry out training for the staff of the Commission;
- set-up a world-wide council(consisting of continental ,regional and local leaderships);
- reach out to Nigerian communities abroad through their various groups, organizations and professionals bodies;
- articulate its mandate and that of the Government properly and widely;
- strengthen the existing administrative set-up of the NIDO;
- work in concert with the NIDO, the professional sub-committees, sub-committees on the professional groups and the various socio-cultural groups; and
- design criteria for membership participation.
- There shall be established such Department as the Board may deem fit
- The functions of the Departments shall be determined by the Board .